Call to Democratic Party Caucus
Special Election for Neabsco Supervisor
1. Call. Pursuant to Virginia Code Section 24.2-510(5)(ii) and the Democratic Party of Virginia Plan ("the Party Plan"), the Prince William County Democratic Committee (PWCDC) hereby calls an Unassembled Caucus for the sole purpose of choosing a Democratic nominee for the Neabsco Supervisor Special Election to be held on April 9, 2019.
The Caucus will be held on Sunday, February 24, 2019 at Dale City Volunteer Fire Department, Station 13, 13511 Hillendale Dr., Dale City, VA 22193. Doors will open at 3:00 PM and voting will cease at 7:00 PM. The ballot box will be closed and ballots counted immediately after the last voter has cast their vote.
2. Caucus Rules, Forms, and Information. Caucus Rules will be posted, along with other pertinent forms and information about the nominating process, at the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/PWCDems) and website for the PWCDC (www.pwcdems.com).
3. General Participation Requirements. Each participant in the Caucus must be a qualified voter in the Neabsco Magisterial District of Prince William County at the time of their participation. No participant in the Caucus may intend to support any candidate who is opposed to the Democratic nominee in that Special Election. Every person who participates in the Caucus must have their voter registration status verified and complete a Caucus Declaration Form.
4. Voting Opportunities. Participants in the Caucus may vote only in person and at the time and location noted above. (Note: Each voter may arrive during the time listed, cast his or her vote, and leave.)
5. Candidate Requirements. Each candidate for nomination must meet all applicable requirements of state law, the Party Plan, and the Caucus Rules. Each candidate for nomination must submit a completed Declaration of Candidacy form and check made out to PWCDC for filing fee of $600.00 to the Acting Chair/representative of the PWCDC between the hours of 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM on Friday, February 22, 2019 or 10:00 AM to 12:00PM, Saturday, February 23, 2019. The Declaration of Candidacy form and check (made out to PWCDC) may be delivered by either the candidate or a surrogate to 5517 Mapledale Plaza, Dale City, VA 22193. If only one qualified candidate files by the deadline, that person will be the nominee of the Democratic Party and the Caucus will be cancelled. Notice of the cancellation of the Caucus will be posted on the Committee website.
For questions about the Caucus, please contact Tonya James, Acting Chair of the PWCDC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY FOR DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION
NEABSCO DISTRICT SUPERVISOR
I, ________________________________, declare myself a candidate for the Democratic Nomination for election to the office of Supervisor for the Neabsco District at the Special Election to be held Tuesday, April 9, 2019. In making this declaration, I certify as follows:
I will not support any candidate who is opposed to a Democratic nominee in the next ensuing general election;
I am a Democrat;
I am a registered voter in the county or city in which I am declaring my candidacy;
I am a resident of_________________________________________________________________
My permanent address is:
My telephone numbers are:
My e-mail address is:
Declaration received by:
Acting Chair/Designated Rep of
Rules for Unassembled Caucus for Neabsco District Supervisor
All times shall be read from the phone of the Chair of the Caucus.
The doors of the caucus room will open and the certification process will begin at 3PM.
The doors to the caucus room will be closed promptly at 7PM. Persons standing in line to complete a Caucus Declaration Form at the time the doors close will be allowed to complete their forms and participate in the caucus.
Every person who participates in the caucus must complete a Caucus Declaration Form and sign a statement which says they are a registered voter in the Neabsco Magisterial District of Prince William County, a Democrat, that they believe in the principles of the Democratic Party and do not intend to support a candidate opposed to the Democratic nominee in the next ensuing election. They must also have their voter registration status verified.
The Acting Chair of the Prince William County Democratic Committee shall act as the permanent chair of the caucus.
The Recording Secretary of the Prince William County Democratic Committee shall act as the permanent secretary of the caucus.
Caucuses shall be conducted in accordance with the Virginia Democratic Party Plan and the Call to Caucus.
The permanent chair shall appoint a tellers committee.
Ballots will be prepared listing the first name, middle initial, and last name of each candidate properly filed in alphabetical order.
At the conclusion of voting, the tellers committee shall count the ballots. Each candidate is entitled to have one observer for the counting of the ballots.
There shall be no campaigning inside the caucus room or check in area.
There will be no Press or Observers permitted in the room in which balloting takes place.
Tie votes will be decided by the flip of a coin.
CAUCUS DECLARATION FORM
DEMOCRATIC CAUCUS FOR NEABSCO DISTRICT SUPERVISOR SPECIAL ELECTION
April 9, 2019
Section 18.3 of the Virginia Democratic Party Plan provides:
Each person participating in a caucus must provide written certification that he or she:
Is a Democrat;
Is a registered voter within the county or city for which the caucus is held;
Believes in the principles of the Democratic Party; and
Does not intend to support any candidate who is opposed to a Democratic nominee in the next ensuing election.
All such persons present at the caucus at the time stated in the notice are entitled to participate in the caucus if they sign the required certification.
I the undersigned, having read the above provisions, hereby state that I am a Democrat, that I am a registered voter in Prince William County. I believe in the principles of the Democratic Party, and that I do not intend to support any candidate who is opposed to a Democratic nominee in the next ensuing election.